About

The current home of the Dallas Bar Association, the Belo Mansion was built c. 1890 by Colonel A. H. Belo, founder of the Dallas Morning News. The builder was David Morgan, who completed the new Dallas County Courthouse in 1893. In the late 1800s, Ross Avenue was one of Dallas’ most prestigious addresses, where the city’s most successful bankers, manufacturers, merchants and lawyers resided. A replica of an earlier family home in Salem, North Carolina, the Classical Revival residence was stylistically different from the High Victorian homes on Ross Avenue. In 1962, the Belo Mansion was leased to the funeral home operators George Loudermilk and Will Sparkman and later gained notoriety when the bullet-riddled body of Clyde Barrow (of the infamous Bonnie and Clyde) was presented for public viewing in the front parlor. The mansion was purchased from the family in 1978 and gracefully restored and expanded by the Dallas Bar Association in 1978.